Uncle Sam shouldn’t be the only one conducting an audit this year. If you’re like most businesses and brands in the SEO space, Facebook’s new initiative to minimize and regulate public content posts might have you in a tizzy. Don’t panic. Largely powered by ad revenue, Facebook needs your brand presence as much as you need the social giant. But, if you want to want to maximize your presence and continue to use the platform as a vehicle to drive business, a Facebook audit is in order.
Yes, I know that few words spark more dread than audit. Relax – you do not have to be an algorithmic genius to run a quick QA check on the components that broadly impact your followers and SEO success. The process can be both speedy and painless if you are well-equipped. Ready to get into the social weeds and conduct a Facebook audit? Here are 3 key tips to help get you started.
1. Judge a (Face)Book by its Cover.
Beauty is on this inside… Unless we’re talking about your Facebook page. Sure, the content must have substance and value, but it’s been proven that visual marketing is a top driver of SEO success on Facebook. In other words, your page’s aesthetic is key in attracting and maintaining followers. Begin your Facebook audit by reviewing these crucial specs:
- A Polished Profile. Your profile pic and cover shot should both be sleek, brand-specific, and meet the suggested sizes and dimensions. If your images fall outside of the guidelines, you run the risk of your viewers seeing pixelated or stretched photos when they access your page, which aren’t exactly attention-grabbing. Stick to high-res, supreme-quality pictures.
- A Less-is-more Layout. Nobody likes clutter. During your Facebook audit, assess the simplicity and sophistication of your page. Is it clean and crisp? Is it modern and fresh? Or…could it use a little make-over to ensure that you’re holding court in the competitive social landscape? You don’t have to boast design chops to achieve a winning look. There are plenty of popular tools available like Canva and Stencil to help you create and edit graphics and logos, and achieve a creative and modern vibe that will have followers swooning.
- A Seal of Approval. The last easy-on-the-eyes piece of the Facebook audit is becoming verified. You’ve probably seen the little blue check-mark included on the profiles of celebrities, public figures, and major brands. However, you don’t need to be Beyoncé to join the ranks of Facebook-legit profiles. A gray badge denoting verified status can be earned by any business that goes through the Facebook vetting process. Sure, an icon next to your name seems like small potatoes, but it lets Facebook and your followers know that you are an active, accepted brand.
2. Your Profile: Less is Not More.
It may sound obvious, but a complete and accurate Facebook profile is essential to your SEO success. Let’s be clear: complete means that all information fields are filled out in detail. This is an oft-overlooked step by big-name brands who simply type a few keystrokes to get started initially. When you conduct your Facebook audit, focus on the following profile must-haves:
- Business and brand overview. Is your company’s mission, culture, history, and product pipeline clearly defined and showcased for followers and page visitors?
- Contact Info, Location, and Hours. Is this information updated and easily accessible?
- Links. Have you included links to direct followers to your business website and other social channels?
- Call to Action. Does your Facebook profile encourage visitors to join the email list? Enter promo drawings? Learn more about your new products? Call about pricing or events?
Another key step in your Facebook audit is to double-check that your page has a unique URL. Simply put, once your Facebook page earns 25 likes, Facebook will gift you with the option of customizing the link to your page and creating an easy-to-remember, brand-friendly URL.
Sure, boasting a complete and robust Facebook profile is a testament to your professionalism, but it also insures SEO triumph. Go ahead – run a quick search of any brand, even your competitors. Let me guess -among the top results was likely their social profiles….#amirite?
3. A Facebook Audit – the Ultimate Measuring Stick
As the adage goes, “a goal without a plan is just a wish.” And without a breakdown and analysis of how your brand is performing on Facebook, it’s impossible to develop a winning content strategy. If you’ve been lazy in the metrics department, a Facebook audit marks the perfect time to roll up your sleeves and dive into data.
Driving this component of your audit should be Facebook Insights. Insights will be your go-to tool to assess your brand’s reach and health among followers. This tool’s analysis capabilities are vast and allow you to examine the following:
- Posting Success. Which of your posts has been most successful? Which have failed miserably?
- Likes. What types of content have yielded the most likes?
- Follower Growth and Retention. How many new followers have you earned? Lost?
- Video Reach. How many people are tuning in to your video posts? For how long are they watching?
The analysis component of your Facebook audit will uncover trends and insights that will help you understand what content your followers are flocking to and what’s chasing them to the Unfollow icon.
Don’t Fight It. Audit.
Change can be daunting but adapting to it doesn’t have to be. By running a quick and comprehensive Facebook audit, you are positioning your brand to outpace competitors in the ever-changing social space. Need a jump-start with your Facebook audit? Contact us today for immediate guidance.