Social media is the modern way for small business to interact directly with customers, both to share information and get feedback on what consumers are looking for. A strong social media strategy is key to increase brand awareness and improve customer service. Here’s a rundown of some of the most influential social media statistics so you can pick the best networks for your company.
Facebook Social Media Statistics
- 65 billion users worldwide and 823 million of those are mobile-only users.
- Worldwide, 6 percent of the online population uses Facebook.
- Videos earn the highest rate of engagement, despite only making up 3 percent of content.
- Users watch 100 million hours of video daily.
- Facebook adds 500,000 new users every day, adding up to6 new profiles every second.
- 72 percent of all online U.S. adults visit Facebook at least once a month. Half of online users who do not use Facebook themselves live with someone who does.
- There are 40 million active small business Pages.
- 310 million monthly active users.
- 83 percent of active users are on mobile.
- 500 million people visit Twitter each month without logging in.
- There are 500 million Tweets sent each day. That’s 6,000 Tweets every second.
- 8 percent of U.S. companies with 100+ employees use Twitter for marketing.
- 77 percent of Twitter users feel more positive about a brand when their Tweet has been replied to.
- 76 percent of consumers are likely to recommend the brand after prompt, positive replies via Twitter.
- Google+ has 375 million monthly active users.
- Google+ has 20 million monthly unique mobile users.
- 37 percent of all U.S. social media users use Google+.
- 75 percent of brands have a presence on Google+.
- 13 percent of U.S. small businesses have a Google+ page.
- 53 percent of Google+ interaction with brands is positive.
- LinkedIn has 400 million members.
- 100 million members access the site on a monthly basis.
- The average CEO has 930 LinkedIn connections.
- Over 3 million companies have created LinkedIn accounts.
- Only 17 percent of U.S. small businesses use LinkedIn.
- Pinterest has 100 million users.
- 42 percent of all online women use Pinterest.
- 85 percent of Pinterest users are women.
- 66 percent of content that users Pin comes from brand websites
- 93 percent of Pinners use Pinterest to plan purchases.
- 87 percent of Pinners have purchased something because of Pinterest.
- There are 400 million monthly active users on Instagram.
- 75 percent of Instagram users are outside the United States.
- Over 80 million photos are uploaded each day.
- 90 percent of Instagram users are younger than 35.
- 8 percent of brands are on Instagram. By 2017, this is predicted to rise to 70.7 percent.
- Engagement with brands on Instagram is 10 times higher than Facebook, 54 times higher than Pinterest, and 84 times higher than Twitter.
- YouTube has over 1 billion users.
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- The average mobile viewing session lasts more than 40 minutes.
- 9 percent of U.S. small businesses use YouTube.
- YouTube is available a total of 76 different languages, covering 95 percent of the worldwide online population.
- Searches of “how to” videos on YouTube are growing 70 percent per year.
- Snapchat has more than 100 million daily active users.
- Snapchat users watch 10 billion videos every day.
- Average number of “snaps” shared on SnapChat exceeds 9,000 per second.
- 54 percent of users log in to the site daily.
Musical.ly is a newer social platform that allows users to create and share videos recorded in 15 seconds or less. Here are some social media statistics related to this brand new network.
- Musical.ly has more than 20 million monthly active users.
- Musical.ly’s users are 75 percent young women, with 60 percent of the users under the age of 30.
- Musical.ly is one of the 30 largest apps by monthly active users in the United States.
Your business will benefit most from consistent social media management over the long haul. Spend some time reviewing these social media statistics and visiting each of the social networks to determine where your target audience spends most of their time. Learn how they interact with content on their preferred social media outlets. Track your performance and identify which tactics are working to maximize your efforts. Then, spend your time and energy on the one or two social media outlets that bring you the best ROI.